Born in September 1917 in St-Etienne, in a family of refugee miners of the Pas-de-Calais, hired at 13 in the mines of Dourges after his school certificate, he attended evening classes at the upper primary school. During the Second World War, he was captured in 1940 and repatriated by hospital train in 1945. He then tirelessly devoted himself to the fight against the occupier. After the liberation, he accepts responsibilities within the National Federation of Prisoners of War, as well as Department of Veterans Affairs.
In 1953, a member of the Socialist Party, he was elected mayor of Henin-Liétard. He joined in 1955 the General Council of the Pas-de-Calais. Elected deputy of the Pas-de-Calais in 1958, he is constantly re-elected at the National Assembly. Member of various committees (Cultural Affairs, Finances …), author of a law on juvenile silicosis, Chairman of numerous associations (Association of Mayors of the Pas-de-Calais, youth exchanges … Association), Chairman of Hénin-Carvin district, Chevalier of the Legion of Honor, awarded the Cross of the Fighter and the Medal of the Resistance, Fernand Darchicourt tirelessly served the poorest, while being a clairvoyant administrator and getting recognition through his work and spirit of human solidarity.
Lycée Fernand Darchicourt
In 1961-1962, the premises of the Lycée Technique of Henin-Liétard still harbored all classic and modern techniques sections. Faced with the rapid increase in the number of students in the region, the administration decided to implement two new establishments among which the Classic and Modern High School in Route de Beaumont installed in demountable buildings to accommodate third and fourth grade students, and second cycle students. A State Autonomous Mixed high school was officially established in September 1965 in Henin-Liétard and a position of headmaster, principal of the new school was created; full financial autonomy was granted in 1966.
The school began to operate in the new premises in September 1971 in conditions that unfinished work and an enrollment of 1,050 students, made difficult; indeed ,at that time, the high school hosted 4th year students and some 3rd year students until the completion the following year of the College Rabelais. The official inauguration took place on 14 May 1972. From 1972 to 1980 the number of students was steady (around 700). In September 1980, the school welcomed the first class G, TG and TB from the Lycée Pasteur and workforce reached a thousand students.
In 1987-1988 there were 1500 students. In September 1988, thanks to the construction of an additional building body, it reached 1,900 students, stabilizing around 1,800 since September 1999.Now a training center for commerce and office automation,the high school has three preparatory sections BTS : Management of Retail Business, Personal Assistant section and Transport and Logistics.